Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Weekend in Mcleod Ganj

So, I finally am somewhere with a really quick connection and am making the best of it. I have added some photos to the post from yesterday, and also a few more onto facebook. It's obviously not all of them - I'm trying no to get too greedy!

So, an update on my movements: Some of other volunteers I know are up in Mcleod Ganj - about 15 km up the mountain from where I am (although it takes over an hour to get there). I had planned on coming up today (Saturday) with the other volunteer at my placement, but yesterday some of the students were coming up, so I decided to come with them and try to meet up with my friends, Rhiannon and Anthony.

So, I grabbed some food and got myself a cute little hotel room and met up with them for a drink afterwards.

This morning we got up early to see the Dalai Lama, who was holding a special prayer service for the victims of the floods in Pakistan. We just saw the top of his head, and the service itself was all prayers in Tibetan, so it wasn't the most exciting thing I've done thus far, but worth the experience. Also, every person in attendance was served Tibetan bread and tea.

So here I am now at the internet cafe. This is the fastest connection by far I have had in over a month - I'm just mad I don't have all my memory cards with me so I could finally get those videos up! Oh well.

Plan for the day includes shopping for souvenirs and books for the school, getting a new sim card, and taking my first hot shower in ages!

Next weekend I am to Amritsar and the India/Pakistan border for the closing ceremony which is held each night (look it up - it's really awesome, and not what you'd think at all).

Then next weekend is my last weekend in India, and I'm going to Chandigarh for the weekend and then taking a train back to Delhi, where I will have one or two days left before I leave.

Thanks for all the feedback!

2 comments:

  1. I posted comment a few days ago but it seems to have been "lost in transit". As usual, since forgotten what I said! Anyhow, reading with much interest your great experiences in Himalayan foothills with the Tibetans - a wonderful people. Look forward to comparing notes when you are in NZ. Enjoy rest of time. Any major problems with rains in area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My life revolves around rain. If it stops raining I run to wash my laundry so I can hang it. If I see a could, I run to bring my laundry in. Every time I leave the house I have to take an umbrella. My shoes and clothes smell because they are never dry. So yes, you can say I have had some problems with the rain - but it's all worth it!
    As far as the area is concerned - no major problems like landslides or anything. One area of McLeod is blocked off in case of a landslide, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete