Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

My new daily life.

So, as I mentioned, I have been a horrible blogger since I have been here and it's about time that I updated you with some information and photos. With the exception of constant rain and fog (although it miraculously cleared up this evening), I haven't one single complaint about this place. It's beautiful and peaceful, I love my work here, and I love the people.

A typical day consists of getting up at 6:50 and having breakfast at 7. Breakfast usually consists of chai tea and rolls. I eat mine plain, but lots of others eat them with homemade chili. I tried the smallest possible amount of chili today and still wish I hadn't.

At 8, classes begin. I teach three classes in the morning (all English). The 22 students are split into three groups, so I have one class with each of them before we have tea break (more tea and rolls).

After tea break I teach one more English class and then a "conversation" class, where we discuss a topic as a group (Nature v. Nurture, What is intelligence and how should it be measured?, etc.). Then I split them up and assign them points of view, which they have to debate. It's my favorite part of the day because in many situations I think they have such different points of view than we as Westerners have. I learn a lot about Buddhism in this class!

Then, we have lunch (the students are typically still debating) which is a big bowl of rice with some type of vegetarian dish - always good!


For the rest of the afternoon I do lesson planning, shower, wash clothes, read, etc. Sounds simple - but let me explain. To shower, I need to gather my things, including two buckets and walk to the spring. The spring is spout coming out of a rock wall with enough water pressure to knock the bucket out of your hands. It's all water from a nearby river - I don't know if it's filtered, but it's what I drink and I haven't been sick (knock on wood), so they're doing something right. So, at the spring, I fill the bucket with ice-cold water and take it into a hut where I have to use a smaller bucket to pour this water over me. To wash my hair, I have to perch precariously on the side of the spring, bend over, and shove my head under the water. It takes incredible neck strength! Then, still upside down, I feel for my shampoo, rub it in, and then throw myself back into the torrent of water for a rinse. I haven't even attempted conditioner. Hand washing clothes on the rocks is an art I haven't yet mastered...


So, during the afternoon the students study, do homework, and play sports until dinner. Dinner (also amazing) is usually some sort of noodles in broth with veggies (or occasionally meat). We then (all of us) go down to the spring to brush our teeth. Then, we all just relax and read for the rest of the night on typical nights. One night a week they have a game night where some students have to make up a game for everyone to play - it's been entertaining to say the least!






Tonight we're having a Momo (?) party, which happens once a month. It deserve's it's own blog and I'm taking a ton of pictures, so look forward to that!

So, I hope that sums it up. Needless to say I'm really enjoying myself here!

Love to all!

(My humble abode)

1 comment:

  1. Great photos again, as usual...not enough tho ;-)...understand the frustration with the internet. I hope, when you say you are in charge of grammar, that you are teaching it is not correct to start a sentence with "so".
    You must be having so much fun...hope your "Momo" is good, can't wait to see some more photos. We will donate some books for the school so let me know what you think would be good and if you can get them there, 'cos I think it will be too expensive to ship them from here.
    Have a great day, love you heaps and can't wait to catch up in NZ.

    ReplyDelete