Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

The hardest day of my life.

Sightseeing Day 2

We saw some sights today, and these were great. But, the things I will remember about today are not the sights.

We began with a leisurely (this is sarcasm) drive into Old Delhi. On the phone the other night, Mom asked me what side of the road people drive on here. This is what I told her: The technical answer is the left side. The actual answer is that whoever gets there first goes. It's not uncommon for me to look out a window and see a car going the opposite direction between our car and another going the same direction as us. As a general rule, there are no lane lines on roads - not to separate lanes, or even different directions. It's just basically a 6-lane blacktop free-for-all. Also, divided highways - not so strict here.




We not-so-soon arrived at India Gate. Basically, everything here is covered in scaffolding because of the Commonwealth Games in October, which sort of takes away the effect.


We then continued on to the Jama Masjid. I can't tell you any good facts about this because I hardly remember it. On the way to the mosque we walked up this long walkway where I saw things and people I can't even begin to describe. I obviously don't have pictures, but just be glad you weren't there. At one point I turned around to one of the other girls and said, "This is by far the most disturbing day of my life," and when I looked at her she was just crying. It was really that bad.

So, here's are some picture of Jama Masjid, but you should look at them be reminded of everything you have.






We then went down some alleyway to a hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Karim's, which is supposed to be one of the best in Asia. Again, I don't remember as much of the food as I do the people I passed on my way there and out.

The Red Fort was next, which is cool because it is where the Prime Minister speaks every year on Independence Day, which is coming up August 15th.


And finally, the last sight of our two-day extravaganza was Raj Ghat, which is where Mahatma Gandhi was cremated. A solemn finale to reflect on the day.


And here are some photos to leave you with.








2 comments:

  1. Was just about to lodge a formal complaint with the tourism department that we hadn't had any updates lately! Wow Kris, you are seeing some amazing thing...but I can't imagine how you felt on that last day. As you said, these are things you will never forget, and neither you should, the good and bad. Where are all the other people you are with from? Miss you and love you heaps! Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jambo! I got this lovely zebra postcard in the mail the other day! Thanks! :) Hope you're enjoying your trip!! How's the food there? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete