Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

A day of relaxation.

After three full days of being out and about in Delhi (exhausting!), I am spending the day wrapping up some things and packing for the next leg of my trip.

Yesterday we had language lessons in the morning (not effective), returned home for lunch, and then set out for Delhi.

We saw the Akshardham temple/complex/palace (?), which was the most extravagant thing I have seen on this whole trip. I don't have any photos, because you can't take in cameras. Basically it's right next to the Commonwealth Games Village and consists of this massive palace and all the grounds and temples around it. Inside the palace, almost everything you see is carved marble and all these gold statues of the Hindu gods. Around the palace going the whole way around the walls are life-like carvings of elephants - each one different from the other. Outside the walls is a moat, and then on the other side of that are all sorts of ridiculously extravagant exhibits. I can't do it justice, but trust me that if you ever come to India, you should really come to this place -even though it's not in the guidebooks. You could spend a whole day there easily. The only bad thing is that you can't help but think how much money the palace is worth and how there are millions of starving people outside the walls...

In the evening we went to Connaught Place, where we did a little shopping and went to dinner as a big group since we all split up after this weekend.

So the plan for today is to pick up a few things from the market, relax and get packed and organized for my trip, see a Bollywood movie, Hindi Language lessons, then hopefully sleep - although it's been difficult at 90 degrees, especially when the power goes out and the ceiling fans stop. Basically I just lay awake at night in a puddle of my own sweat. We all want to sleep outside on the roof, but there are monkeys...

Tomorrow, we see the Taj Mahal and then I leave late at night for a 12-hour bus ride to Palumpur/Dharamsala - still not sure exactly where I'm going. So, who knows about internet access.

Love to all!

2 comments:

  1. Kristin! I FINALLY remembered that you were keeping this blog! Your trip sounds amazing! It's awesome that you got to do this. I definitely don't think I'd be able to live without all of my little luxuries (a daily shower, A/C, a salad, etc) or be able to eat things just to not be rude (fresh meat). Even just reading your blog, it puts everything into perspective, that's for sure. Can't wait for you to get home to hear about everything else!

    MISSSSS YOUUUUUU :)

    Love, Melissa

    PS - Thanks for not posting the slaughtered goat photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure when you will get this as you head into the unknown! Hope you long trip up to Dharamsala was not too bad. I have a game for you...I spy the Dalai Lama. Wish I was with you! No news, just thought you might like a comment. Look forward to your next blog, hopefully not too far away. BTW, Ann said to tell you she checks it 3rd thing in am!

    ReplyDelete