Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Motorcycles and MSG

I haven't once been on a motorcycle - nor have I ever wished I had. So naturally, my first time on a motorcycle would be scaling the Himalayas toward McLeod Ganj on the back of a motorcycle driven by the manager of the school (Tenzin), without a helmet. My second time would be coming back down with a backpack full of books, holding on for dear life to Tenzin, whose backpack was strapped to his stomach and therefore inhibiting the use of his arms...

Luckily there was dinner waiting when we arrived home and someone graciously passed me the packet of flavoring they all add to their food, which I proceeded to add to my soup. It then occurred to me (for the first time since I've been here) to ask what it was. After a few missed translations it all became clear. For ten days I have voluntarily been adding MSG to my dinner each night. They keep packets of this stuff in the kitchen. They then told me that if I ever want to get "drunk" (as if I need help) I can add MSG to Coke (Coca-Cola that is) and it will make you drunk. But, they added as a disclaimer, be very careful not to use too much - because a few years ago 16 kids died from getting "drunk" off too much of the MSG-Coke booze. I think I'll steer clear of the concoction - and stop putting it in my dinner.

So other than that, I'm doing well. Two new volunteers arrived today and I am teaching them the ways of the world - showering in the torrent of water we refer to as a spring, hand-washing on the rocks, predicting the rain (it's easy, it rains constantly) so you know when to bring in your clothes, and avoiding MSG.

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha... That's so funny, hope you got some pic's. How did you get on book shopping? Where are the new volunteers from? Have fun this weekend... Be careful! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good News for me!!!!! SO in 30 years when I go through my Mid- life crisis you will be ok with me buying a Motorcycle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bill...I thinks 30 years yet to your mid-life crisis is optimistic. Hate to tell you this but it comes earlier than you think, even if you are only 20!! But I will be OK with a bike...so long as you take me for a ride occasionally..or often! Not sure about up the Himalaya though..maybe the Adirondacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahah mum i was thinking the same thing... 30 years is definitely overshooting it a little bit. (also, pictures cannot have possessions)

    and kristin, this is one of those times where i don't think we're from the same family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you elaborate on that last comment Kim?
    And Bill...we predict you have 10 years ;-) so you might want to start perusing the mag's for your bike so you are ready! Can't waste precious time!
    Oh yes, this is Kris's blog...how are you doing honey...get some good books? Can't wait to see some more pictures...especially of the people you are with. Have fun!
    (Though I would change my name so it doesn't look like I am the only one commenting!

    ReplyDelete