Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Namaste India.

I'm not going to lie. I'm not loving it so far. But, I just have to remind myself that my first few days in Tanzania were difficult too and in the end, I loved it. So, here's to hoping.

It all started out with a miserable trip here.
My flight from Kenya was delayed 1 hour, but it wasn't as if they thought to announce it. So I was pretty much freaking out that I had missed the memo or something, but calmed down when I looked around the gate and knew that the flight was definitely headed to India. Then, once we boarded the plane they announced that because we had left late, we would be arriving in Mumbai when the airport was closed (I didn't know airports closed), so we would wait another hour so it would be open when we got there. On the entire plane (a 767) I was, without exception, the only white person. Additionally, I was one of maybe five women. One guy actually switched seats with two people to sit next to me. So, then I had to stay awake the whole flight to keep an eye on him. And you know how the seats in front of you on a plane have metal bars, which kind of divide your foot space from the person next to you? Forget them. Somehow I was in the middle seat and both men on each side of me had their feet in my designated area. At least it helped me stay awake.
Then, I arrived in Mumbai, and we got bussed around to the domestic terminal alongside our bags. Of course it was a torrential downpour and I could see my bag through the window getting soaked.
Then, no one was there to pick me up in Delhi.
So, it was a long day. However - my bags made it all the way to Delhi without a hitch, and for that I am grateful - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to hang up all the soaking wet clothes. Not that they'll dry because it's been raining here since I arrived and the humidity is insane.

In Tanzania, I felt like a spectacle, with everyone commenting when I walked by, etc. Here is even worse. Walking to the internet cafe, a car actually stopped right next to me and the people stared out their windows for full 30 seconds before moving on. Of course the rickshaw behind it did the same thing, and the motorcycle behind that. It's exhausting.

So far, I have done nothing except read and come down to this internet cafe. Which, is actually quite fast - so maybe my mission will be to upload some videos finally. I heard there is a mall nearby, and I think I will need different clothes for this trip - so I wanted to check it out, but I have no idea how to get there and I'm the only one at home today. This week I am staying in a homestay with 8 other volunteers (to arrive today and tomorrow) and then next weekend I will take a 12-hour (?!) bus ride up to Dharamsala, where I will stay for three weeks. I have hear good things about that area, and am really looking forward to it. After the city in Tanzania, and the craziness around here, I am really looking forward to getting out of the hustle and bustle.

Hopefully the week will perk up when everyone else arrives and we get started on orientation. I have language classes all this week as well as visiting some temples and such in Delhi. So, here's to hoping!

Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment