Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hello from Kuala Lumpur! (REDO)

This is the second time I have done this blog - I did it earlier from my iPhone and courtesy of Starbucks free wi-fi, but there were so many typos that I became ashamed and rushed to the nearest actual computer to restore my honor.

I arrived in Kuala Lumpur this morning at 7:00 am. Despite my tiredness I was determined to conquer Kuala Lumpur in a day. Let me tell you - this city is awesome and insanely easy to navigate (no Lonely Planet necessary)! To get around I had a choice of a monorail, multiple trains, buses, taxis, etc. This city is impressively developed and efficient.

So I got off my flight and booked it to customs where they issued me a "visitors visa" without a hassle - and my bags are checked all the way through to Auckland - so what a breeze! Within 30 minutes of landing I was getting a bus ticket for the airport/city shuttle. So I hopped on and it took me straight to KL Central. KL Central is the equivalent of Union Station - the main hub off taxis, monorail, trains, commuter trains, and whatever other transportation your heart desires. So I did the most important things first - strapped my money belt in my pants and headed to the first coffee shop I saw.

After being sufficiently caffeinated, I took the LRT (an acronym meaning some sort of train) to KLCC (an acronym meaning some important area of downtown). I got off and was in the middle of the nicest mall I've ever seen - it puts King of Prussia to shame. So I wandered outside away from the expensive clothing to find the Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur's big landmark. I walked around the mall twice before I looked up and realized I was IN one of the towers already. =) . So naturally I crossed the street to take a picture. Then I realized that everyone was actually dressed nicely and that I looked like I'd just spent 6 weeks in the outback....so I got my haircut.

BEST HAIRCUT EVER. I have no idea how it looks, nor do I care, but I may fly here every 6 weeks just so they can shampoo my hair and massage my scalp while talking in soothing voices with Michael Buble playing overhead. Mmmmm.

Once they woke me up, I headed for some food - what else - sushi. As soon as I saw one of those places where the sushi tempts you from cute little colored plates on a conveyor belt I knew I had to eat there. I had four mystery plates of goodness but I already miss the dirt-cheap prices I've become accustomed to. I haven't spent more than $3.00 on a meal since I left home!

Next, I got a taxi to China Town where there is a big market - Mum I looked high and low for some fabric but came up short - so I got you a knock-off Louis Vuitton instead. =). In the market they had a little spa where you can stick your feet in a little pool of water for a "fishicure" where these little fish eat the dead skin off your feet. I was really embarrassed when I stuck my feet in and all the fish ditched everyone else's tootsies and began a frenzy on my 6-week dirty feet. Afterwards, I fruit from a roadside stand (not the one with the dead chickens) and got the train back to KL Central.

I then sat at Starbucks for a while waiting for the bus and attempting to blog from my iPhone.

Which brings me to the Plaza Premium Lounge - a nice little lounge inside the Kuala Lumpur Airport where you pay a flat fee to get in and it has showers, free internet, massaging chairs, and all your food and drink is included - as well as a 15-minute massage. What could be better?

Only 5 hours to wait...

See you soon Kimbo!

1 comment: