Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Am I lucky or what?

So now that I am sitting in a comfy bed (yay for down duvets!) with a mac on my lap and a fast wireless connection in the air - I wanted to reflect on how lucky I have been to be able to travel like I did this summer. This will either read like a dedications page of a bad book, or an awards acceptance speech, but oh well.

Mom and Dad - thank you so so much for being so supportive of everything and helping me out in any way you could - including financially. On my trip I met so many people who were traveling to these places against their parents' wishes, because they just didn't understand why someone would want to travel like that. I don't know if I could have done this if you weren't behind me. So, thank you so much for "getting it" and being there every time I called (except that time I messed up the times and called at 3am).

Bill - thanks for updating my life each and every time we talked with normalcy. It was great to chat about what I was doing and where I was - but you have been my link to the real world the whole time. It sounds strange, and I never would have thought about that during my trip - but looking back, it was actually really a nice change to hear about life at work, and to be reminded what I have to come home to. =)

Carly - thanks for continuing to be your wonderful self by tagging and posting ridiculous things on my facebook pictures - this is why I post them =). Actually, this applies to Jenna too - who appeared to check and "like" my pictures after each post.

Kim - we didn't talk much, but my whole trip I was just so excited to come and see you - despite any assaults that may or may not have happened last year =) I'm glad I'm here now! And thanks for dealing with the current smell of mildew and mold that I have brought into your house.

The poor people at OIM to whom my dad has subjected this blog to during treatment - isn't there some insurance law about conflict of interest...? But really, I hope you liked it and know my dad loved giving them to you. Thanks.

Those of you who read my blog voluntarily. On some days I blogged since I had nothing better to do, and on others I really wanted to tell a good story - but either way, it was really nice talking to my mum and hearing that some people were actually reading it (by choice) and enjoying it. I loved logging on and reading your comments. This also applies to all of you who anonymously stalk my blog each day and are not followers and do not comment. I know you're out there.

I would like to thank United Airlines, KLM, Precision Airlines, Kenya Airways, Air India, and Malaysia Airlines for not once having lost my bags. It's a miracle really. After six weeks of traveling, numerous flights, bus rides, train rides, shady hotel rooms, etc., I have arrived in New Zealand with everything present and accounted for. Not once did I stand there at the luggage carousel thinking, "Why me?" Really, it's something to be thankful for.

Last but certainly not least, I want to thank all the students at EST. I know I've said it before and I hope you've each had a chance to read the memory book, but I had such a wonderful time there with you guys. You taught me many things - how to shower and wash my clothes at the spring, how to make momos and rip off noddles, how to slurp... You came with me to see the Dalai Lama. You put eye drops in my infectious eyes when I was sick (double thanks for that). You are all so welcoming and charming and I can't stop thinking about how I can see you guys again. I wish you would stay at EST so I would know where to come back to find you all, but for your sakes know that that isn't going to happen. For those of you who want to return to Tibet - I hope that you can soon (and that it's a better Tibet than the one you left), and for those of you who want to continue your studies at University - I wish you luck. For everyone else, I hope that you are able and free to do whatever it is you decide to do. If there is ever anything I can do to help anyone - from and English question to whatever, please please let me know. So, please stay in touch, and if I ever have the opportunity to return the hospitality - please let me know! Miss you guys!

2 comments:

  1. Please tell us about the earthquake in NZ. All us "poor people" at OIM are anxious to know that you and your family are doing alright. All the best, have enjoyed following your adventures so far. Please keep posting while in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we're all fine here - we're on the eastern side of New Zealand and farther north than the earthquake. You probably know as many details as I do by this point, but basically Christchurch was pretty hard hit, but with no deaths. The major problem, from what I understand, is that the water and drainage systems underground have been damaged - so that's a mess and will have long-term effects. Thanks for thinking of us!

    ReplyDelete