Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kilimanjaro National Park (Saturday 17th)

On Saturday another volunteer, our driver, Bruno and myself went to the Marungu (?) waterfalls in Kilimanjaro National Park. We hiked through the hills, passing all these remote houses on the way. If there is one word I would use to describe this whole place it would be "juxtaposition." Everywhere you go, it's the most bizarre contrast. On our way to the waterfall we walked past these houses perched in the hill, miles away from anything. Then you would see this tiny little stand that advertised they sold beer. Each day we see these kids who have the worst lives, but they are the happiest kids I have ever seen. The whole place is full of these huge contradictions I just can't wrap my head around sometimes. Each night I am exhausted, but I think it is more from the mental strain than the fact I hiked hours through the hills.





Anyway... we hiked for a few hours through the hills to two different waterfalls. I wanted to stand in the water, but was a little afraid because a lot of the water here is filled with parasites, so I stayed on the rocks. Bruno (a Tanzanian) drank it though....




Then we continued on to these underground caves where people used to take cover during tribal wars. They looked like grass huts built into the ground instead of on top, and then there were tunnels connecting 4 different huts. The tunnels included little areas where they would keep the animals as well. I tried to ask how they got the cows down there, but something got lost in translation...

2 comments:

  1. You look like such a little spelunking pro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog so far Kristin! Experience of a life-time, for sure!! Safe journey to India!Ann J

    ReplyDelete