Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Turtles Here I Come!

So, as you may or may not already know, I am safely back from Bosnia. Yes, I know - I've been a bad blogger. However, wifi connection the last stint in Bosnia was difficult to come by, and after the fact, things seemed slightly less necessary to share.

Anyway, I'm on to new things now. Departure for Costa Rica in less than 48 hours.

My mom (mum) and I are doing turtle conservation for three weeks, with a few extra days to ourselves at each end of our trip. What, exactly, turtle conservation entails - we will all find out together.

We arrive in San Jose on Friday afternoon and have to meet up with the volunteer group on Sunday night. I made a half-assed attempt to find a hotel for Friday and Saturday night, but then sort of gave up. I guess we'll figure our minor details like housing when we get there.

Monday we will have a 9-hour ride to the Osa Peninsula (way south and way rainforesty), where the turtles are desperately awaiting our arrival and help. According to our informational packet (entitled "Extreme Turtle Adventure"), we will "be left at a specific junction in the road where another bus will pass by to pick us up". This sounds promising. No doubt, I am thankful mom has been diligently learning Spanish so that she can get us out of the situation this is likely to become.

I couldn't help but note that when I googled the Osa Peninsula and Drake Bay, the overwhelming comment was that roads are often unpassable during the rainy season. Another website said if you're going between May and November, you'll definitely need a 4x4. Good thing we're going in July, during the rainy season, and are relying on two different buses to get us there. =)

We "should expect to live quietly and simply in a small, coastal farming community" and will be placed in "very rustic, rural conditions, in a gorgeous, isolated part of Costa Rica." There will apparently be running water and electricity (huge plusses), but we should "not expect any luxury; there may well be no mirrors, modern plumbing or tubing." I'm not sure what tubing is, but I'm pretty excited either way. After all, if I wanted luxury - I could just go back to Bosnia ;).

So for the first week of so, I think we are doing a lot of prep work for the turtle nesting that begins later in the month. We'll be helping to build the hatchery, preparing the beach (who knows?), and doing patrols to register nests. After the nesting season begins - then....well, I guess we'll see. We're supposed to be in one of the most eco-diverse places in the world, so hopefully we'll see some awesome (non-birdlike) animals. Other than turtles, that is.

So, after three weeks of turtle-related work, we will move back north, where we have a 4-night reservation (ah, Living Social) at a Thermal Spa and Resort so that we can wash off our grime before fully returning to civilization. From the Osa Peninsula, we have the option of taking the 9-hour bus ride, or a 1-hour plane ride...I should add that said plane ride would be $35 on an 18-seater passenger plane. I mean really, did you have to ask? Imagine the views! Although, as my mom commented, "Yep Kris, those views will be great when we are plummeting to the ground for buying a $35 ticket on an 18-seater prop plane."

So, there's not much to report now until I arrive for my Extreme Turtle Adventure (does that mean extreme adventure for the turtles or for us?).

Nothing left to do now except start packing and try not to wear anything Costa-Rica-worthy for two days - which would be much easier if it wasn't 90 degrees here.

No comments:

Post a Comment